The consultation period for this project has closed. Construction of the car park only will Commence September 2021, date TBC
Weaver Reserve Upgrade
Council will be upgrading Weaver Reserve. Currently, Weaver Reserve is used by picnic and beach goers throughout the summer months. The Altona Village Traders Association Tuesday market utilises the reserve for its stall holders and the Altona Lifesaving Club run programs on the northern section of the reserve. Increasingly it is being used as a small intimate event space with recent examples including Summer Sounds, inflatable water slides and music events. There are also two picnic tables located in the reserve. Its connection to the Esplanade and the activations that have taken place there in the last couple of years, has raised its profile as an important linkage between the Pier Street trading precinct and the foreshore.
What you told us about the concept plan for Weaver Reserve
There was a consensus that Weaver Reserve is due for an upgrade. Overwhelmingly you told us that the reserve could do with more shade through the planting of trees, more dedicated seating and picnic tables, improved wind protection and maintaining an open grass area for events. A priority from the community during this consultation process was to ensure that the park, beach and Esplanade is integrated and connected.
Please click here to view the What We Heard Report for Weaver Reserve.
How the final concept plan has changed
Taking on board the stakeholder feedback received during the consultation process, Council has now refined the concept plan and will shortly be entering into the detailed design phase. The final concept plan for Weaver Reserve includes;
Increased gathering potential
- Remove scattered existing vegetation and create a consolidated green open space for public gatherings and events.
- Create low grass mounds 600-800mm high along the edge of the reserve to help negate winds from the bay, thus creating calm areas within the reserve.
Upgrading the existing carpark
- A new carpark along the northern edge of Weaver Reserve extended all the way to Bent Street.
- Additional trees and garden bed planting to reduce the impact of the extended carpark.
- An east-west footpath link provided on the southern side of the carpark to provide safe pedestrian connection to Pier Street.
Click here to view the final concept plan for Weaver Reserve.