Council to conduct another round of consultation in late November / early December 2021
Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback as part of Connecting Laverton - Railway Ave.
Council acknowledges the need to conduct additional research and consultation to further understand community safety concerns and ideas. Feedback provided to date will be used to inform the next round of consultation which we hope to deliver in late November / early December 2021.
The next consultation will include letter drops to residents in the local area, online forums and feedback opportunities and, where possible due to COVID restrictions, face to face discussion.
Become a member of Participate Hobsons Bay by clicking the follow button above. Members of the site will receive an email alerting them to engagement details for the next round of discussion in relation to Railway Ave.
What safety improvements have we missed?
Hobsons Bay City Council proposes to improve road safety and construct a shared trial on Railway Ave, Laverton.
The first stage of the project is to touch base with the community to see if we have addressed all road safety requirements.
We invite you to consider the concept designs below and tell us, have we missed anything?
There are several ways to be involved in this project
- Post a comment in the blue section below and tell us, what safety improvements are missing?
- Chat to Council Officers at an online community drop in sessions on Wednesday 11 August from 6 til 7.30 pm. Click here to register
- Speak to a Council Officer at the Better Places Laverton engagement session on Saturday 7 August from 11 to 1 pm at McCormack Park, Laverton. Due to the State Government Lockdown this session has been cancelled.
- Click the ' +Follow' button in the banner above to receive project updates for Railway Ave
- Click here to join the conversation about road safety improvements for Maher Rd, Laverton
Consultation for this project will close on Sunday 29 August at midnight.
What road safety improvements are proposed?
Over the last five years there have been a total of nine recorded crashes, three resulting in serious injury. These incidents have involved motorists, motor bikes, pedestrians and cyclists.
The safety improvements proposed as part of this project seek to reduce travelling speed, create safer environment for pedestrians and improve visibility at night times. The proposed improvements include
- traffic calming devices to reduce speed including
- road humps and speed cushions
- increase in diameter of the roundabouts on Railway Ave and Merton St and High St
- a wombat crossing with flashing lights near the corner of Railway Ave and Crown St to
- provide a safe crossing facility
- cater for the existing pedestrian demand
- street lighting upgrade to improve visibility at night times.
Please refer to the FAQ section on the right for explanation of terms such as 'wombat crossing' and answers to commonly asked questions.