Friday 30 April 2021
Proposed Annual Budget 2021 - 22
Hobsons Bay City Council’s Proposed Annual Budget 2021-22 is now available for public exhibition until midnight Sunday 23 May 2021.
The Proposed Annual Budget 2021-22 is the first for the new Council term. It responds to COVID recovery needs, ongoing rate and financial hardship relief, a strong capital works program, and funding for over 100 vital community services.
Highlights of the budget include:
- Council’s $63.491 million Capital Works Program which invests in new infrastructure across Hobsons Bay and provides much needed jobs for our community and local suppliers
- $2 million dollars for a COVID related community support package including
- $1.35 million in rate and financial hardship relief
- $650,000 to assist sectors hit hardest by COVID including business, young people and the arts community
Community consultation for the Proposed Annual Budget is an integral part of its development. The consultation process began in November and December 2020 with Council’s ‘Pitch Your Idea’ program - inviting community members, local groups, and organisations, to submit their ideas about projects and programs across Hobsons Bay for Council’s consideration. In total, 86 submissions were received with many Pitch Your Ideas projects awarded funding.
Have your say on the proposed budget
All residents are encouraged to provide Council with feedback on the Proposed Annual Budget 2021-22.
There are two ways to be involved:
- Written Proposal: Provide a written comment on an proposal contained in the proposed budget
- Community Support Package Focus Group: Nominate to be part of a community focus group that helps Council allocate $2 million for support for those hit hardest by COVID 19.
See the tabs below for more information on how you can provide feedback on the proposed 2021-22 budget.
Join the Community Support Package Focus Group to allocate $2M to those experiencing hardship due to COVID 19
As part of the 21/22 Annual Budget, Hobsons Bay City Council has set aside $2 million to provide assistance to community members experiencing hardship due to the continued impacts of Covid 19.
You are invited to join the Community Support Package Focus Group members to help Council identify how best to provide rate relief, services and programs for those most in need.
Complete the form below to express your interest in joining the Community Support Package Focus Group.
About the Community Support Package Focus Group
What is the purpose of the Community Support Package Focus Group?
- To determine how best to allocate the $2 million Community Support Package for
- rate rebates, deferrals and waivers
- support for groups in our community (such as the arts industry, young people and businesses) hit hardest by the impact of COVID 19
- To identify additional groups in our community experiencing disadvantage due to COVID 19
- To discuss how rate rebates will be applicable to those experiencing disadvantage
Recommendations of the panel will be presented Hobsons Bay City Council for consideration.
For details of the Terms of Reference of the focus group, click here.
When will the Community Support Package Focus Group meet?
The group is scheduled to meet on the following dates at the Altona Civic Centre, 115 Civic Parade Altona
- Wednesday 12 May, 6 to 8 pm
- Tuesday 18 May, 6 to 8 pm
- Thursday 20 May, 6 to 8pm
Panel members are required to attend all three sessions.
How will the Community Support Package Focus Group members be selected?
The group will consist of approximately community members from across Hobsons Bay, Council Officers and a facilitator who will be present to support the group and the process.
The community members will represent a balanced cross section of the Hobsons Bay community in terms of demographic i.e. residents across all suburbs from all ages, backgrounds, lifestyle, household circumstance, etc. The group will be formed through a balance of
- 50% random cross section of community (formed by a random sample sourced by an objective third party)
- 50% formed through the expression of interest process listed below
The Proposed Annual Budget 2021-22 and Rating Strategy was endorsed by Council at the Ordinary Council Meeting on Tuesday 20 April 2021. The community is invited to view and provide their written submission(s) on the proposed budget until Sunday 23 May 2021.
The submission process, including requests to appear in person to be heard by Council on Tuesday 8 June 2021 (subject to unforeseen future Coronavirus pandemic restrictions), must be submitted in writing. Submitters are asked to indicate if you or a nominated representative wish to appear in person to be heard by Council in support of your submission. Social distancing measures are in place at Council meetings.
The Proposed Annual Budget 2021-22 and Rating Strategy are set to be presented for adoption at the Council Meeting from 7pm on Tuesday 29 June 2021.
In accordance with Section 129 and 223 of the Local Government Act 1989 and Regulation 11 of the Local Government (Planning and Reporting) Regulations 2014, if you would like to provide comment,
- if you wish to be heard regarding your submission, this will be held on Tuesday 8 June 2021, at the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre, 115 Civic Parade, Altona. Social distancing measures will be in place. This is subject to Coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
- written submissions should be sent to: Director of Corporate Services, Hobsons Bay City Council, Reply Paid 21, Altona Vic 3018 (no stamp required) or can be submitted online (see make a submission tab)
A copy of the Proposed Annual Budget and the 2021-22 Draft Capital Works Program can be found in the Document Library section of this page (right), or hard copies are available for viewing at the Civic Centre and Council Libraries.
Privacy Statement: Any submissions received will be included in a register of submissions received in accordance with Section 223 of the Act. Submissions form part of the public record of the meeting (including any personal information you provide) and will be published on Council’s website (accessible worldwide) for an indefinite period. A hard copy will also be made available for inspection by members of the public at Hobsons Bay Civic Centre. If you have any queries or wish to amend the information provided please contact Council’s Privacy Officer on 1300 179 944.