Railway Avenue Concept Plan
Update May 2022
Council sought feedback from local residents on a proposed road safety project on Railway Avenue in late-2021. The project focused on traffic calming treatments like road humps to reduce vehicle speeds.
The project received mixed feedback with the overwhelming sentiment in opposition to the road humps. However, there was recognition that the road and corridor could be improved, particularly for pedestrians.
As a result, a revised approach was taken to take a bigger picture approach for the corridor, informed by the Better Places project. We welcome community feedback on the long-term vision for the Railway Avenue corridor.
Informed by Better Places and community feedback, the vision for Railway Avenue has been developed with the assistance of subject matter experts and outlined in the attached Concept Plans.
In summary, the project involves three main components:
- Road safety improvements, with a focus on pedestrian access
- Open space and streetscape improvements
- A Shared User Path running along the corridor
These elements have been developed in tandem and it is envisioned that they would be delivered over the next 5 years as opportunities arise.
Each of these three components are discussed below:
The road safety improvements focus on improving north-south and east-west connections on Railway Avenue, including:
- Raised crossings on Railway Avenue at the pedestrian rail crossing (just east of Balmoral Street) and the Laverton Community Hub
- Introduction of a raised platform at the existing signalised crossing opposite the train station
- Raised crossings on the east and southern legs of the intersection of High Street and Railway Ave
- A refuge island and new path connections on the west side to the freeway overpass
- A raised crossing on Merton Street at Railway Avenue to connect to the existing Skeleton Creek bike path
- Raised crossings where residential streets meet Railway Avenue
- Improved crossings at the car park and bus stop access points on the north side of Railway Avenue
A range of open space and streetscape improvements are proposed, including those to support and compliment the road safety improvements. The proposed improvements include:
- Improved landscaping at kerb outstands and at raised crossings
- Introduction of significant street trees, particularly on the north side (which is free of overhead power)
A safe connection for pedestrians and bike riders was identified as part of Better Places and has been included as part of the concept plans.
There are challenges in the delivery of the path with a number of interfaces with other authorities in a constrained urban environment. We have undertaken a preliminary assessment and have developed a concept with the path on the north side of Railway Avenue between Aviation Road, shifting the south side at the underpass where it continues to Maher Road, and onto the Laverton Creek Trail. The path would be widened under the freeway overpass.
The path would provide a safe connection for pedestrians and bike riders, complimented by the road safety, open space and street scape improvements.