15 July 2020
Bruce Comben Reserve Draft Master Plan
Hobsons Bay City Council has prepared the Bruce Comben Reserve Draft Master Plan to guide future planning, development, maintenance and management.
The Draft Master Plan seeks to create a sense of 'community heart' to service the people of Altona Meadows and the west of Hobsons Bay, address key challenges of the site and include the 2019 Council decision to develop a new aquatic centre.
We now invite the community to review the draft Master Plan and provide feedback.
The Bruce Comben Reserve Draft Master Plan will be open for public exhibition until 12pm, Saturday 15 August.
Bruce Comben Reserve is approximately 17ha and located off Central Avenue, Altona Meadows and includes
- active sports facilities: a multi-use sports pavilion, three playing fields, cricket nets and four tennis courts (which incorporates Sepak Takraw).
- passive elements: an extensive path network, a playground, large open space areas, treed areas and Skeleton Creek.
- an early years facility.
Challenges and opportunities
The review has involved research, a usage assessment, an extensive site review with soil testing, consultation with a Stakeholder Reference Group (tenant clubs, local residents and local interest groups) and an analysis of design options for upgrades to the Reserve.
The review identified
- an opportunity to create a 'community heart' for Altona Meadows
- improvements to the Reserve to help create a 'community heart' for the people of Altona Meadows to socialise and connect
- the challenge of accommodating growth
- additional sports fields required to accommodate growth of all sports
- future demand following the state government announcement to fund three year old kindergarten
- a contemporary aquatic centre in Altona Meadows that will provide for over 70,000 people in Hobsons Bay’s west
- the challenge of managing conditions
Go to the Document Library on the right for more information on the key challenges and opportunities identified in the Bruce Comben Reserve Draft Master Plan - Summary Report.
The vision for the Bruce Comben Reserve Draft Master Plan is to create a 'community heart' that services the people of Altona Meadows and the west of Hobsons Bay. The Reserve will be a place for sport and recreation; aquatics and leisure; early years learning; community gathering; play and adventure and community health and well-being.
The recommendations for improvement are listed below.
- Additional active sports facilities, including:
- a new aquatic and leisure centre with outdoor plaza space and cafe
- two new sports fields to accommodate four rugby fields, two cricket ovals and six touch footy fields
- redevelopment of the sports pavilion with additional change rooms, a public toilet, improved storage and a covered viewing area
- retention of the turf cricket oval and installation of sports lighting
- provide two multipurpose courts for Sepak Takraw and public tennis courts
- An improved passive recreation offer, including:
- a play space and family / social area
- landscaping improvements throughout the reserve including improved signage, park furniture, planting, outdoor fitness equipment and additional shade trees
- creation of an off-leash dog park
- retention of the vegetated parkland along Skeleton Creek
- Investigation of design options to manage conditions, including:
- safe pedestrian access from residential areas to the park across Central Avenue, Skehan Boulevard, MacNeil Avenue and Henry Drive
- increased car parking within the park to service the new aquatic facility and sports fields
- A new early years centre