Project update 13 December, 2023.
Thank you to everyone who joined us at the drop-in sessions, submitted feedback and contacted Council with relation the three projects within the Williamstown Foreshore Precinct that were on public exhibition.
Council received significant interest with over 1000 contributions across the three projects during the eight-week consultation period. Given the large amount of feedback received, Council officers will be working through the responses over January to develop a “What we Heard” report, which will be published in March 2024.
Council will consider all suggestions, comments and concerns in conjunction with its stakeholders and relevant planning considerations when updating designs for each of the three projects.
Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club Redevelopment
Council is partnering with the Victorian State Government and the Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club to deliver a future upgrade to the facilities onsite. Below you will find a copy of the draft concept designs which have been prepared for community feedback.
The Victorian Government has committed $11.3 million towards the Swimming and Life Saving Club upgrade. In addition, Council is contributing $3 million towards the delivery of future facility upgrades onsite.
The Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club concept plan includes:
- Retention of historic pavilion
- Improved storage areas and amenities
- New café and public toilet area
- New observation tower, gym, sauna and meeting spaces
- Improved landscape treatments
The delivery of a new swimming pool as part of the redevelopment is not in the scope of works, however the concept plans include the core life saving functions, and the necessary amenity upgrades required within the immediate precinct.
Please review the concept plans below before submitting your feedback through the survey.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Concept design development
August to September 2023
In consultation with key project stakeholders including Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club, the Victorian state government, Life Saving Victoria and relevant authorities.
Timeline item 2 - complete
October to 10 December 2023
The community and key stakeholders will be invited to provide feedback on the project as a part of the Williamstown Foreshore precinct development Community Engagement program.
Timeline item 3 - incomplete
Early to mid 2024
Review feedback from the community and work with project stakeholders to update the concept design.
Timeline item 4 - incomplete
Schematic and detailed design
Following approval of the concept plan.
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
2025 - 2027
Pending permit approval from relevant authorities and the completion of the procurement process, construction will begin. Stakeholders will be communicated with prior to construction stage.
- The swimming and lifesaving club facility survey does not have any options to provide feedback on specific facility components.
- Why is a swimming pool not included on the concept plan?
- There is a loss of car parks in the new design. Are they being replaced?
- Would the new facility block my view as a resident across the road?
- Will the existing grass area in front of the pavilion remain a members only space?
- Will the redevelopment consider the heritage significance of the site?
- When will the works commence and how long will they take?
- While works are occurring, will the club continue to operate?
- What route will vehicles take to access the site during construction?
- Does the design address future sea level rise?
Saturday 21 October 2023 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club
The Esplanade, Williamstown
This event will occur inside the building in the event of poor weather.
Sunday 12 November 2023 09:00 am to 02:00 pm
Drop-in session 2
Williamstown Farmers Market
Robertson Reserve, corner of Cole and Hamner Streets, Williamstown