Closing the loop
Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback during consultation for W.J Irwin Reserve. Please click here to view the final concept plan for the reserve.
Community engagement informed the final concept plan for W.J Irwin Reserve which will include:
- Adoption of a ‘theme’ to the playground: Altona Skipper butterfly (a locally endangered species) and other native insects will be the subject of interpretive signage, carved timber sculptures and habitat planting.
- Selection of play equipment has been informed by the community feedback: styles of swing set, carousel, timber and rope climbing structure and timber cubbyhouse.
- Inclusive items including the carousel, basket seat and talk-tubes are complemented with accessible rubber surfacing.
- Timber play equipment was preferred by the community, so timber options have been selected for the Swing frame, cubby house, tall slide platform structure, climbing structure (with natural-coloured rope) art elements and logs for nature play.
- Facilities for the wider community include an accessible drinking fountain, additional seating, picnic tables, picnic shelter and accessible paths.
- Beyond the playground, a new perimeter path will connect to the existing paths, creating a reserve circuit path, with rest-stop seats and new trees.
20 December 2021
Click here to view the What We Heard report for W.J Irwin Reserve community consultation.
8 November 2021
Have your say on the W.J Irwin Reserve upgrade
The play space at W.J Irwin Reserve in Altona North, is due to be upgraded to the standard of other local play spaces in Hobsons Bay. We have created a draft concept design and would like to hear what the local community think of the proposed features including the types of play equipment, furniture and landscaping.
What is included in the draft concept design?
- new play equipment, including flying fox
- paths and connections through the Reserve
- garden beds and trees
- picnic table and shelter
- drinking fountain
Take a look at the draft concept design for W.J Irwin Reserve below
Have your say
Let us know what you think by filling out the online survey below, attending a community drop-in session or submitting further comments to the projects team by emailing email@example.com or phone 1300 179 944.